Mama Diaries

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Counting Snowflakes

We had our first snowfall of the year this evening.  It was rather pretty.  Of course, my son was very excited about it.  Because... well, I guess because snow is just exciting to a kid.

"Mama!  Come count snowflakes with me!"

"Okay," I said.

We parked ourselves on the floor of his bedroom and looked out the window. 

"Mama, turn off the light so we can see them better."

I obliged.  The sky was dark.  The spotlights on the back of our house were on.  They made the snow look like tiny crystals shining against the night sky.

We sat in silence for a while, admiring their beauty. 

"Mama, I think there's a billion of them."

"You may be right.  And no two are the same."

"But what if they melted, and evaporated, and came back down again?  Would they be the same as the first ones that came down?"

"No.  They'd be different."

"Wow!"

Aren't the simplest things in life the most amazing?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment