I knew that one day, someone was going to get bit by one of the creatures my kids and the neighborhood kids catch. Fortunately it wasn't me, or my kids.
"Mama!" My daughter came running in the house. "Bubba's friend got bit by a snake! I think it was a copperhead!"
Uh oh. Copperheads are poisoness, so that was not good news.
I ran out to investigate.
"We have it under the box," my son yelled.
Heck with the snake. I wanted to know how the kid was. "Where's your buddy?" I asked. "Is he okay?"
"Yeah, he's fine."
Hmmm. Okay. I figured I should take a look at this snake and see if it was a bad one. I flipped over the box with a long stick. There it was, all coiled up, and looking mighty unhappy. But it was black. Copperheads are copper. I breathed a sigh of relief.
"All right, kids. This is a northern water snake. Not a copperhead. Leave it alone. AND QUIT PLAYING WITH SNAKES!"
Oy! I think I just got another gray hair!
Snakes are so scary, no matter what kind. I had at least two get into my house through doors left open (lesson never learned).ReplyDelete
I let my two year old play with a toy under the closed garage one day and went to peek on her and there was a huge copperhead not far from her. It had gotten in there when the garage was open.
I almost passed out.
Oh my gosh! Good thing you checked on her. That could've been bad!Delete
Oh my gosh, I do NOT like snakes; copper, red, black or brown so I would have freaked! but glad everything was good and no one was hurt-well except for that shortness of breat you experienced and he increasing gray hairs :)ReplyDelete
I'm not a big snake fan either. They have this bad habit of startling me.Delete
I would never have lifted up that box! You are supermom!!ReplyDelete
Believe me, it was a long stick!Delete
Not many snakes around here, makes me thankful for a such a thing.ReplyDelete
Lucky you! There's a ton of them around my pad!Delete
So glad the worst my kids ever played with was worms and snails! lolReplyDelete
In Which We Start Anew
I've only seen one neighborhood snake in my life. I'm glad I don't run across them.ReplyDelete
What a fright.
I never like running into snakes. Unfortunately, there are a lot around where I live.Delete
Smart kids - nobody stored the snake in a pocket!ReplyDelete
Well, I guess that's looking at the bright side!Delete
Oh my gosh! I would have absolutely freaked. You were so brave for lifting that box off the snake, even using a stick. I'd have probably put a big rock on the box and found another adult to look at it.ReplyDelete
I'm so glad to hear the snake was not poisonous and that the little boy will be okay.
I'm really glad it wasn't a copperhead, too! That would've been really bad!Delete
Oh, man. This made my heart skip a beat! I HATE snakes, so something like this is my worst nightmare. So glad all turned out OK!ReplyDelete
Yeah, me too!Delete
We had cooperheads in our back yard for years. No matter what we did they just came slithering back to the far end of the yard. So I had the fence moved. Snakes in the holler, kids in the yard.ReplyDelete
I'm glad the fence worked!Delete
You were brave to lift that box, plus you identified the snake and took it all in your stride... wow! Kudos to you!ReplyDelete
To me a snake is a snake. Meaning - eeeek!! Don't know one from the other. End of story.