Mama Diaries

Sunday, September 30, 2012

Crashing Through the Road Blocks

Today, I decided to infuse my frog-loving son with some culture.  I took him to a theater to see a production of Annie.  The show was great, but the trip getting there was an epic adventure.

The theater was pretty much in Timbuktu.  It was about an hour away from where I live, in a place that I was completely unfamiliar with.  As luck would have it, our way was blocked.  The sign read:  "Road closed one mile ahead."  A detour sign pointed toward an alternate route.

Okay, I thought.  No problem.  I'll just follow the  signs, and I'm sure I'll figure it out.

Ha!

I followed the signs down one road, and then down another.  Finally, the detour sign pointed down a road that clearly looked like it was closed.  Typical Cincinnati signage.  But I followed it anyway.

"Mama," my son said.  "I don't think you're supposed to go down here."

"Sure I am," I said as I passed by the road baracades. "The sign said I should go this way."

I weaved in and out through orange barrels and pylons, bumping along the dirt road.  Nobody else was on it, so I really didn't care.

"Mama," my son said, sounding real nervous.  "This isn't right.  I don't want to be here."

I looked in the rear view mirror.  "Okay, buddy, I'll turn around."

So I did.  And I double checked to make sure the detour sign was pointing down the road I had just been on.  It was.

I went back to the original road and decided to try my luck going down it.  All was well for about two miles.  Then the barriers were up, and the road became a dirt path.

"Oh good," I said.  "Another off road experience."

I plowed through that thing, hoping to find a side street to turn off.

"Mama!" my son said. "What are you doing?"  

"Going to the theater.  What does it look like I'm doing?"

The poor kid was ready to have a heart attack.

To make a long story short, I did manage to get to the theater by finding a side street and zig zagging through the town.  And I did it with two minutes to spare.  Am I good, or what?

(Note to self:  I need to get a smart phone or GPS system!)    

19 comments:

  1. I love the Navigator in my telephone, but of course it can't cope with road closures. I also think I irritate the Navigator Lady when I do the opposite of what she wants. Someday I'm afraid she'll find me and hurt me for disobeying her. Anyway, I'm glad you made it to the show.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes those Navigators can be a bit cranky! LOL!

      Delete
  2. What an experience for both you and your son. Glad you made it to the theater in time.

    I've heard the show is great. What did your son think of it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He really enjoyed it. In fact, he commented that he would like to be an actor up on the stage. So who knows? Maybe acting is in his future.

      Delete
  3. LOL :) Good one! I loved the emotions between you and your son :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. My son must think I'm a real nutcase, though. (He's right, of course ;))

      Delete
  4. What an adventure, i like getting lost sometimes but surely not before catching up with time to watch a show. I wonder if he enjoyed Annie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He really enjoyed it. As I commented above, he said he would've liked to have been an actor on the stage.

      Delete
  5. That must have been quite the adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. haha making him nervous, should be ashamed hahaha but at least you got there in one piece with only a few nerves shot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I guess the moral is to give yourself extra time to get somewhere in case there's a problem along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an adventure! Glad to hear you enjoyed the show too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It was totally crazy! I think we'll both remember that experience for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't know what I would do without my Garmin. Good job getting there in one piece, sanity in tact and with a few minutes to spare and with a an adventure to share!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds a little like the Thursday I had, only different. I now have a GPS with an Aussie's male voice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Way awesome! Poor boy that had to sit through with you :-)

    ReplyDelete