Mama Diaries

Sunday, September 9, 2012

What Color is That Bear?

My son came home today with a pink stuffed teddy bear. He had won it from one of those machines with the claw that grabs the toys.

"Dude," I said.  "Nice pink bear!"

"Mama," he said.  "It's not pink.  It's light blue."

I looked at that thing.  It was most definitely pink.  I called my daughter over to get a second opinion. 

"Yeah, it's pink," she said.

My son frowned.  "Are you sure?"

I nodded.  "Yep.  Apparently light pink is a color that you can't see very well." 

My boy is color deficient.  He can't see colors the way most people do.  So pink things look blue, and yellow things look green.  Interestingly, his favorite color is yellow.  He doesn't even see what yellow really looks like.  To him, it's lima bean green.   

Anyway, now I have to make sure he doesn't leave home with his pink teddy bear.  His buddies would really wonder about that.  (Unless they're color deficient, too!)

13 comments:

  1. My grandson is color blind. He sees green as a kind of grey which kind of upsets me since trees and grassy areas are so beautiful. No wonder your boy likes yellow. Yes, he better keep that pink teddy at home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dad is color deficient, too. I often wonder what the world looks like through their eyes!

      Delete
  2. I love how you had your daughter to confirm the color because that is something I would do. :) I agree with Belle. The pink teddy probably might need to stay home. Thanks for sharing!! =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. It's sitting on his bed, in his blue room ;)

      Delete
  3. Yeah better off staying hidden away or break out the spray paint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm. I'll have to consider the spray paint. LOL!

      Delete
  4. Yes, that is an idea. Why don't you use fabric color and color the bear blue or his favorite yellow?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. I'll ask him. My daughter wanted it, but he still wouldn't give it up.

      Delete
  6. I'm wondering how he felt after your daughter confirmed the color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He didn't seem overly upset. He still likes the bear.

      Delete
  7. I like the dyeing suggestion. A tie-dye bear!

    ReplyDelete