Mama Diaries

Saturday, September 8, 2012

Gifted Eyeballs

All of you parents out there know how much fun it is helping your kids with their homework.  This year, it's at a new level for me.  My daughter is in the "gifted" program, and her homework is rather challenging.  Today, I was trying to help her with her math assignment.  She's taking a course on DaVinci Vision, and it has something to do with proportions.  Anyway, she had to look at an animated chart from some tracker software on the computer.  She had to analyze the fraction/decimal ratios. 

"Mama," she said.  "I don't get it.  Can you help me?"

I walked over to the computer and stared at the flashing yellow and white chart.  The numbers, first of all, were microscopic.  Second, the chart was flipping back and forth so fast between the decimals and fractions, I could barely read anything.

I couldn't help it - I just started cracking up. 

"Mom, this isn't funny.  Why are you laughing?"

"Well, girlfriend.  For this course, you have to be gifted mentally and physically," I said.

"What are you talking about?"

"Mama  might have a brain in her head, but she most certainly does not  have gifted eyeballs!"

14 comments:

  1. haha time to swap those eyes out for a new pair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. I heard vampire eyeballs work well. Maybe I'll try a pair of those!

      Delete
  2. LOL So those are the kinds of things I have to look forward to! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad I didn't have that type of homework.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Things are certainly more complicated now that computers are involved!

      Delete
  4. Oh my..haha..I think I won't be able to help any kid with their homework where numbers are involved.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yikes -- the dangers of having a smart kid... =]

    ReplyDelete
  6. Last year, my son's teacher decided to save paper and copied four pages of weekly homework onto two. And they were supposed to write the answers to tiny questions on the same page legibly.

    This year I've decided to be very minimal with the homework help. I might give them an example or send them to khanacademy.org to watch a video.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess that's all part of the "going green" strategy. Good luck with that!

      Delete
  7. Math was never my strong suit. Sounds like I would be totally lost with what your daughter is learning. Good luck to her!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've always told The Hurricane that I can't help her with her math because it wouldn't be fair to the other Ph.D. students. She allows me to get away with my foolishness.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete