Mama Diaries

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Hunger Games

First of all, I want to let you all know that I'm a guest at Mum and Babies.  It's a repost of last week's interview, but this time the site is working so you can comment.  If you want to visit, great.  If not, I certainly understand - been there, done that!

Today's post is kind of disturbing.  My son came home from his friend's house with a homemade bow and arrow.  It was actually pretty good.  He had found a bowed stick which he sanded.  He carved some notches at either end so it could be strung.  Then he found a long rubberband and attached it to the bow.  The arrow was a stick he had sharpened with a stone. 

"Bubba,  that's a really good bow and arrow," I said, "but why did you make it?"

"I'm in training," he replied.

"In training for what?"

"The Hunger Games."

"WHAT?"  I couldn't believe he even knew about the Hunger Games!

"Yeah, we're having them in 2013."

"You absolutely ARE NOT having the Hunger Games in 2013, and you ARE NOT training for them!"  I went on to explain that the Hunger Games were very dangerous and that the kids in the movie got hurt and killed doing them.

I am appalled that 8, 9, and 10 year old kids are thinking that it would be fun to emulate what was in the Hunger Games movie!  Am I over-reacting here?

17 comments:

  1. I've heard of The Hunger Games, but know absolutely nothing about them other than what you've said here. To me, it sounds as if you most certainly are not over-reacting. We must protect our children.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're really violent - it's fight to the death. Now, I get that kids like to play, but I don't want them creating weapons that can seriously hurt each other!

      Delete
  2. Yeah the last thing you need as kids getting arrows through their knees or worse, good call.

    ReplyDelete
  3. More worrying is where such a rumour started and who thought it would be fun to spread it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the kid who started the idea to have the games. I'll keep an eye on things and make sure nothing gets out of control.

      Delete
  4. I am certainly a minority here when come to the "Hunger Games" movie. I don't get it and It is definitely my least favorite movie --Too cruel in my opinion.

    So, with that in mind, I don't think that you are over-reacting with your son.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I admit I don't know anything about the Hunger Games, but from what I've gleaned from others, I don't think you're overreacting at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really have to watch kids. They may think something is fun, but someone could end up getting hurt!

      Delete
  6. Not that the kids would understand, but the point of the books were that the Hunger Games was a bad thing! I bet most of the kids don't understand that and only focus on the game part of it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can remember similar fantasies and escapades when I was young. We all survived relatively intact and usually the better side of smarts kept us from doing really stupid things. I guess I did far scarier things in my 20's.


    Lee
    A Faraway View

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did crazy things in my twenties, too, but I hate to see 8 and 9 year olds taking risks!

      Delete
  8. if they are serious, it's totally scary!
    but thats why it was pg13, so we can tell them no! like you did.
    now if my 13 yo came home with a bow and arrow and said that stuff i'd be very worried, but scarier is the fact that at 13 mine might try to hide it from me. at 8, 9, 10, they still tell most everything...
    parenting is a tough job!!

    ReplyDelete