Mama Diaries

Sunday, August 12, 2012

Pet Wax Worms

My eight-year-old son loves to fish.  Lately, we've been doing a lot of fishing.  When I take the boy, we're usually armed with bread and lunchmeat for bait.  That's because I  am not a huge fan of hooking live worms.  When my husband takes the boy fishing, he goes to the tackle shop to get worms and other fisherman-accepted bait.

Today, my husband took our son to the tackle shop.  He got an assortment of wiggly creatures, including a cup of Canadian Wax Worms.  I don't know if you folks are familiar with Canadian Wax Worms, but they're small and white and they look an awful lot like grubs.  Not exactly what I would consider cute.  But my son had a different opinion.

"Aren't these worms cute?" he asked.

My husband looked at those things and then looked at my son.  "No, they're not cute."

"I think they're cute," my son continued.  "I don't want any fish to eat them."

My husband shook his head and led the boy out of the tackle shop.

They went fishing, using the night crawler earth worms first.  Unfortunately, the fish weren't biting.

"Should we try different bait?"  My husband eyed the cup of Canadian Wax Worms.

My son grabbed that cup and shielded the worms from my husband.  "No, we're not feeding them to the fish!"

So now, ladies and gentleman, we have a nice cup of live Canadian Wax Worms sitting on our kitchen table.  More pets for our collection.  What should we name them?  

16 comments:

  1. How cute! I think it's sweet that your son wanted to save those worms.

    Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. *LOL* So adorable! You could name them all Doug and Bob. Hehehe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That reminds me of the Sandra Boyton song where all the pets are named Bob. LOL!

      Delete
  3. I love this story! So cute and funny. You could name them, Thing One, Thing Two, Thing Three etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm I have a feeling all Schultz has to do is knock them over and it's be chow time hahaha better not get too attached.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, my! Your stories certainly crack me up, Sherry! Its amazing what our kids get attached to, isn't it? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bleah. Do you eat at the table with the little darlings as your centerpiece? What are you feeding them? I think they should accidentally dry up and die.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hee hee. I'm not feeding them. So maybe they will dry up and die!

      Delete
  7. LOL. Wonder what they eat? Aren't they suppose to live in some kind of moist dirt?

    ReplyDelete
  8. He'll have a good time befriending these worms and then when he grow a little older he'll have to use them as baits to catch fish. Lol.
    Ed of WaxWormStore.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww he's cute! This post made me laugh. Kids can be adorable but wax worms? I don't think they are. Well, good luck on your wax worms. I think they will be staying with you for quite a little while. I wonder what he saw in those wax worms. Lucky wax worms!

    - WaxWormStore.com

    ReplyDelete