Mama Diaries

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Childhood Monsters Blogfest: The Monsters are Everywhere!

To celebrate author, Christine Rain's, debut of her paranormal novella, Fearless, we're having a blogfest to talk about those scary monsters who invaded our homes when we were kids.  As you might guess, there are plenty of monsters in Christine's new book.  Her protagonist, Abby White, kills monsters from children's imaginations (pretty fearless, huh?).  Can she and her stuffed hippo, Tawa, save the world from the monster uprising?  Well, you'll just have to read it to find out.





Now without further ado, I'm going to tell you about the very bad monster from my childhood.  I was about four years old.   My bedroom was on the west side of the house, which meant I got the evening sun shining through my window.  This wasn't so bad, except for in the summer, when I had to go to bed at 7:00 PM.  That was when the scary monster came out.

Every evening, after my mother tucked me in, the monster appeared on my wall.  It was a huge shadow thing, in the shape of the bogey man.  Terrified, I'd close my eyes and crawl further under my blankets, praying it wouldn't get me.  As the minutes passed, I'd venture out from under my covers and sneak another peak.  There it was, again!  But it had moved.  It was now on the ceiling, coming closer.  Under the covers I went, afraid to move.

The room darkened as the minutes turned into hours. Every time I looked, the monster was closer, until it was finally above me.  By then it was almost dark. I curled myself into a fetal postion under my covers, and didn't move for the rest of the night.

I honestly don't even know how I managed to sleep with the threat of the monster looming over me.  But in the morning, the monster was gone.  As I crawled out from under the covers, I breathed a sigh of relief that I had survived the night.

So what about you?  Did you have any childhood monsters? 

And be sure to check out Christine's new book (and all the other bloggers who signed up to do the blogfest)!

27 comments:

  1. This is a fun blogfest! I haven't posted about my own fears because I had so many -- I don't know where I'd start! I know I was afraid of ghosts, skeletons, and zombies... anything dead, basically!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun!

    I remember jumping into bed from the middle of the room because I was certain a monster was hiding underneath the bed. :) Oh, and there was one in the closet, too. (I had to keep the door shut and then watch to see if it opened on its own...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Only one I can recall being afraid of was a troll, one time I thought the cat was a rabbit and was scared of that, not sure why, but hey haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, that's terrifying! My dad told me once about things that lived under the bed. To this day, I can't stretch my hand out past the bed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only things I've ever found under my bed were dust bunnies.

      Delete
  5. Was there a tree outside your window, casting that shadow? That would really make for a scary shadow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I don't honestly remember there being a tree outside my window. Of course I was only four. I just know that whatever it was, it sure produced one scary-looking shadow!

      Delete
  6. Trees do make for scary shadows! That was such a fun story. Thanks for sharing and for helping promote my novella. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You bet! I hope it brings lots of traffic to your site!

      Delete
  7. Eeeeeeeeeeeeeek! You poor thing! The idea of something creeping closer to you as you sleep wouldn't have let *me* sleep! :-)
    Some Dark Romantic

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish I could have put my children to be at 7 in the summer. I was always ready for bed, but they went by the saying, 'Sun's up, sons up.'

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feel sorry for the little girl who thought there was a monster in her room! I don't remember thinking that when I was young.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes,I was terrified of it, and I never told my mother. Lucky you for having no monsters!

      Delete
  10. Sherry, I've nominated you for the Liebster Blog Award. Please see my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I felt that ghosts were everywhere at nights--inside and outside the house--because people told ghost stories at nights.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This was frightening. I had a monster, but it wasn't this bad. It's interesting to see we weren't alone in this. We all had someone or something that frightened us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One thing from childhood I was glad to leave behind!

      Delete
  13. i have been reading quite a few of these monster blogs and i think i was afraid of all of them at one time or another--except one that was afraid of bears:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a scary monster for a four year old to have to worry about. I was going to ask if there was a tree outside your window, but I see that question was already asked/answered.

    ReplyDelete