Mama Diaries

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Storm Tracker

My eight-year-old son is fascinated by weather.  He can spend hours watching radar maps on TV.  I don't get it, because weather maps and radar screens bore me.  Perhaps he will be a meteorologist someday.  He'd certainly be an entertaining one!

Anyway, as you can probably guess, he has been very interested in Hurricane Isaac.  When he finished his homework, he asked if he could watch the weather channel to track its progress.  I turned it on, and he sat there, mesmerized by the whole thing.

I went off to teach violin lessons.  I was in the middle of a lesson when the boy came barging into the room.  "Mama, come quick, you have to see this!"

"Bubba, I'm teaching.  I'll look at it later."

"No, you have to come now.  It won't be here later."

Argh.  I went in to see what the boy was all excited about.  There was a radar screen on the TV.  "You brought me in to show me this?" I asked, exasperated.

"Yeah, Mama.  It's on the same track as Hurricane Katrina.  And it's a catagory 2!  People are on their roofs because their houses flooded!"

Well, I'm truly sorry for the people who are in the middle of that mess.  Perhaps if you are in the way of the hurricane, you can contact my son, and he'll tell you if you need to evacuate.

Meanwhile, I'm going back to teaching violin lessons.   

11 comments:

  1. I was fascinated with the weather when I was younger, but now I just look for a brief summary.

    I've been feeling bad about the people who are in the path of the storm. I only got heavy rains and some wind when it was a tropical storm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had experienced several hurricanes when I lived in Florida, and they were not fun! I too feel bad for the people dealing with the destruction of that storm!

      Delete
  2. haha wow he really likes the weather. I'd be bored in seconds watching the weather channel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband tells me that he was very interested in the weather when he was a kid. Maybe it's genetic.

      Delete
  3. Wow! Watch out, he's on the road called genius.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recommend that he become a physicist or a mathematician (The Hurricane's degrees). These fields are always at the top of the best jobs list.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is really cool --I love it when kids are mesmerized by science!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could watch the Weather Channel all day too! I love seeing kids interested in things like that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is so great that your son is into science and the weather. Has he watched any of the storm chaser shows? My husband and I watch them. I could never go out and chase down tornadoes, but the shows are interesting.

    ReplyDelete