Mama Diaries

Thursday, October 2, 2014

MARTA

I want a t-shirt that says, "I survived MARTA"!

For those of you who don't know what MARTA is, (which is probably just about all of you), it's the Metro Atlanta Rail Transportation Authority.  In short, it's the transportation system of Atlanta, Georgia, that is supposed to make commuting in Atlanta easier.  Yeah.  Right.

Now maybe my problems had to do with the fact that I was going to a One Direction concert that was packed with 70,000 screaming girls.  A large number of those 70,000 screaming girls were on the MARTA train.

Getting on wasn't so bad, since it was the northern-most stop.  But as we got closer to the Georgia Dome, where the concert was held, it became a different story.  The train became packed like a can of sardines.  And that can of sardines did not smell good.  It was like a combination of alcohol, sweat, and stinky socks.  It was hot in there, too.  Did I mention how bad it smelled?

Of course, to make things even worse, a transfer was involved.  We had to get off the first train, and get on a second.  Imagine thousands of sardines trying to get out of one tin can, go up an escalator, and pack into another.  Yep.  It was ridiculous!  The train lurched forward, and all of the sardines slammed into each other.  The only reason everybody remained standing, is that there was no room to fall.

We tumbled out of that thing, grateful to be alive.

(After the concert, which lasted until about midnight, my daughter and I escaped before the whole school of sardines tried to pack into the MARTA, again.  It was a much more civilized ride back to our station of origin.)

So here is the group we went to see:


One Direction (5 Seconds of Summer opened for them.)  My daughter loved them!  I thought they put on a really good show - lots of fireworks and lights.  But was it loud!  I'm glad I had earplugs, or I probably would've had permanent damage!


And now for the winners of my giveaway:

Books go to :  Norbu Wangdi and SA Larson

Gift cards go to:  K. McKendry, Rachel, and Becky

Congratulations!  I'll be contacting you to let you know, and get your mailing addresses.

31 comments:

  1. You're so nice to do that for your daughter. I bet she was very happy. I've been on some sardine trains. I think the worst was going to D.C. for Clinton's first inaugural celebration. We held hands and X put FYM in charge of muscling his way onto the train while dragging along the rest of us. I like this song. They're Brits, right?

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are. I'd say this is probably me favorite song of theirs.

      Delete
  2. well, you certainly lead an interesting life. but, that business on the train, not in a thousand years would you catch me doing it....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I do have an interesting life. I would avoid trains if I could, but since I do a lot of travelling, I don't have much of a choice. It's train or freeway traffic. And rush hour in Atlanta is not something you want to be in!

      Delete
  3. Sounds horrible. And what is it about Atlanta that there is no easy way to get through it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Umm yeah, my ocd would want me far far far out of there

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a great place to be for claustrophobic people!

      Delete
  5. Might have been worth it to get a taxi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No. Atlanta traffic is horrible. It would've taken four hours to get there with the traffic. MARTA was a better choice!

      Delete
  6. I took MARTA when we visited my sister, and were going to Turner Field for a baseball game. It wasn't as crowded as you say, but didn't give me a calm easy feeling, either. . . I don't like subways in general, as our public transit in Vancouver is above ground (SkyTrain). Riding MARTA only confirmed that I must be an elf, since I prefer the lofty heights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! MARTA would be okay, if the crowds weren't so bad. It was just insane at the time we went.

      Delete
  7. Congrats to the winners!

    Sounds like you had a fun and memorable night. I have never experienced MARTA- but have ridden the subway in NYC and Boston. It can get busy, but easier for me than driving in all that city traffic. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not ridden the subway in NYC, but I can imagine how much fun that is! The other place that was somewhat crazy, was Paris. It stunk so bad on that Metro!

      Delete
  8. I was once stuck on a train to an event, one that I wasn't attending. The crowd was ridiculous. We were packed like sardines. It's not comfortable at all. Sometimes I miss a train on purpose and wait for another one, hopefully less crowded.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish people would wait for the next train. They really didn't need to pack in like that!

      Delete
  9. This reminds me of the time I chaperoned my cousin and her friends to a New Kids on the Block concert (yeah, I know, I'm dating myself!). Thankfully, her Dad drove us down to the venue, but I still had to listen to all those screaming girls at the concert hall! Congrats on making it back to safety. And congrats to the winners of your give-away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing how much noise 70,000 girls can generate!

      Delete
  10. MARTA definitely doesn't achieve the potential that it was suppose to, but then my only experience on it was during the Olympics. Not a good time to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't even imagine how awful it was during the Olympics. Oy!

      Delete
  11. Very funny, Sherry, but probably not at the time. Why is it England can have such a fabulous Underground and our cities can't?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Off all the times I have been to Atlanta, I've never ridden MARTA. But I have taken the L in Chicago to a Cubs game and BART to a game in Oakland and when it is time to go--things get crowded. Nice of you to do this for your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've taken the L and and Bart. No problems with them. The MARTA was insane! My daughter had a great time, so it was worth it.

      Delete
  13. Mam I am glad to know that I am one of the winner of your giveaway. Thank you so much for nominating me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. They did a concert here about two weeks ago. My coworker went but she never gave me details because they transferred her to another store for the time being. We had a TON of young girls coming into the store that day, just trying to kill time before the concert. Nearly all of them that I talked to weren't even from the state!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like an adventure, Sherry. And wow, you are a real trooper to go to that concert!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yay! Thanks so much! My daughter really wants to see One Direction she's a huge fan too. I hope we can get there without being sardines though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've heard of the group. Glad your daughter had a good time.

    CONGRATS to the book and gift card winners!!

    ReplyDelete