Mama Diaries

Friday, October 10, 2014

The Edible Cell

"Mom," my daughter said.  "I need a giant cupcake."

I looked at that girl, completely puzzled.  "What for?"

"A science project.  I need to go to the store and get candy, too."

I couldn't imagine what kind of science project involved a giant cupcake and candy.  But I did my mom job and took her to the store, where she bought an assortment of Sour Patch Kids, Nerds, Fruit Wraps and a strawberry mini-cake.  "What in the world are you going to do with all of those?"

"Make a cell," she replied.  "The frosting is the cytoplasm, the strawberry is the nucleus, the Fruit Wrap is the cell membrane, and the Nerds are the ribosomes."

"What about the Sour Patch Kids?" I asked.

"I'm going to use a blue one for the Golgi body.  Do you get it?  Golgi body - kid body?"

I nodded.  "Yeah, I get it."

We went home and she created her masterpiece.  (I would show you a picture, but she refused to let me take one.)

When she was done, she put the cover over it.  "One more thing," she said.  She grabbed a sticky note and wrote something on it.  Then she shoved it in the refrigerator.

Curious, I checked to see what she wrote.  I laughed when I saw it.  It said, in very big letters,

DAD, DO NOT EAT MY SCIENCE PROJECT!

(I guess she knows her dad!)
 


40 comments:

  1. Does your husband regularly eat strange science projects growing in the fridge? If I were her, I'd be more worried about Bubba.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He eats whatever he finds. She's right to be worried about her dad!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for providing some much needed giggles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol I guess he'll have to wait and eat it when she is done

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the teacher plants on beating him to it!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Probably. That man eats anything. (Well, almost anything.)

      Delete
  5. Your daughter's idea was ingenious. I would never have thought of that. See, cake is good. It has so many uses, like being part of a science project.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a science project, too. It involves new clothes and shoes. Please take me shopping.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Yeah. I have a science project like that, too. Maybe my husband will take us both shopping. :0)

      Delete
  7. Ha ha ha. That's great! Brilliant idea for a project.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL, hopefully he won't conveniently ignore that sticky note!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if he even saw the cake, but it was there the next day.

      Delete
  9. *LOL* Love that! I'd be guilty of eating something like that if I didn't know it was a project too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Yep. Her dad has been known to raid the freezer and eat all the Christmas cookies before Christmas. It's best to put a post it note on what you don't want eaten.

      Delete
  10. Well somebody has to test the project. (-:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! My husband probably would have enjoyed that!

      Delete
  11. HA! "The frosting is the cytoplasm..." That's a line to remember.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's a girl who takes no chances. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The fridge -- always a good place to find science projects in-the-works.

    ReplyDelete
  14. If someone had only taught me science with cupcakes and candy, maybe I'd understand it a lot more than I do now. That current level being zero.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like a fun project! Hope she gets to eat it after it's graded (if it is graded right away). :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  16. I remember years ago students brought in cakes shaped like cells. I wasn't the science teacher, so I felt left out.

    ReplyDelete