Mama Diaries

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Schultz's Big Find

It's been a while since we've had a Schultz story.  For those who don't know Schultz, he is our hundred pound German Shepherd.  He's been pretty tame, lately.  But today, he decided to cause a little mischief.

I was outside, paying attention to the cat (yes, the killer one who dissects frogs and other small creatures).  I figured that maybe he needed some love, because the killing was getting a little out of control.  So I sat on the deck with the cat in my lap, petting the furry thing, and scratching under his chin, which he really likes.

Schultz stood inside, watching me do this, clearly not pleased that I was giving the cat more attention than him.  After a while, he walked away from the window.  I figured he'd probably go find a spot to lay down and take a nap. But no.

About fifteen minutes later, I heard a clunk in the kitchen.  Since there was nobody else home, I figured it had something to do with the dog.  I put the cat down and went inside to investigate.  At first I didn't notice anything.  Then I saw that a cupboard was open.  The one that contained Schultz's dog food and treats.  I didn't see anything on the floor, so I closed the cupboard. Then I turned around.  That's when I saw it.

Schultz was lying on the ground in the family room with something between his paws.  I walked over to investigate.  Do you know what he had?  A knuckle bone, still partially wrapped in plastic! He had opened  the cupboard, rummaged through a small Rubbermaid container, found the bone, taken it out, and removed some of the plastic.  There he was, happily gnawing away.

"Schultz!" I said.  "I didn't give you permission to get that bone!"

He cocked his head and looked at me.

I took the bone from him and removed the rest of the plastic.  "Now listen, dog.  You can't just have things for free.  You have to work for them."  I gave him some commands.

"Stand up."

He stood.

"Sit."

He sat.

"Shake."

He shook my hand.

I gave him his bone back.  He took that thing in his giant mouth and retreated to the basement where he could gnaw in peace.  What a creature!

43 comments:

  1. Poor Schultz! He was so depressed over you petting the cat that he had to find a treat to make himself feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Schultz was just trying to be independent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I wish my kids could be more like that!

      Delete
  3. Sounds like he was drowning his sorrows in treats. At least he didn't fight it when he was caught. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's a good boy. He wouldn't dare give me a hard time about it.

      Delete
  4. Very smart dog...he knew how to work the system!

    ReplyDelete
  5. aww schultz-- he's gonna get attention away from that cat one way or another :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whoa. Sounds like Schultz knows how to throw a tantrum when feeling ignored!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or at least he knows how to console himself. ;0)

      Delete
  7. Schultz is very smart.. hes certainly got skills!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's really one of the smartest animals I've met.

      Delete
  8. I love Schultz. I always enjoy stories about him, unless he gets in trouble.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's a very good dog. But sometimes too smart for his own good!

      Delete
  9. I guess he knows how to get what he wants! :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  10. *LOL* Silly dog. At least you made him work for it a bit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. He must always work for what he gets. That's how we keep him under control.

      Delete
  11. You're braver than me. I wouldn't take food from an animal. I've been bitten for because of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm much higher in the pack than he is. He knows it, and respects it. I wouldn't do that with an animal I didn't know, though.

      Delete
  12. haha he knows how to get what he wants

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mam your dog is quite clever. The only differences is that he cannot speak like us. Otherwise he understands like us.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Haha! He definitely knew how to get your attention.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh heavens, if my dog ever learns to help herself to the treats in the pantry, we'll be in trouble. I see her in there sniffing around occasionally, but she hasn't yet pieced together that she could pull it from the plastic. She has found one that dropped to the floor before in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. German Shepherds are smart ones. They can figure out just about anything.

      Delete
  16. Uh, oh! I'm so glad that our dog is too small to reach his treats and food. We'd be in trouble if he could do that! It's bad enough he knows where the treats are and tries to get me to give him one every time I just walk past them!

    ReplyDelete
  17. He knew what he wanted and went for it! Good that you taught him a lesson about earning the reward though.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ah, Schultz! He has a mind of his own~

    ReplyDelete
  19. Replies
    1. I thought so, too. I'm not always a mean Mama. ;0)

      Delete
  20. Well worth teaching him that nothing is for free.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think all dogs must learn that. They behave much better when they do.

      Delete