Mama Diaries

Friday, November 22, 2013

Mac and Cheese - Bubba Style

My boy, Bubba, came home from school, absolutely starving.  Unfortunately, I was on an important phone call, and couldn't really stop to cook.  I boiled a pot of water and dumped some macaroni noodles in while I was on the phone.

"Mama, the noodles are ready," he said as the kitchen timer went off. 

I had enough time to turn the timer off, but then I had to shuffle through paperwork to give some information to the person I was talking to.

Apparently, Bubba couldn't wait.  He took over operations and made the mac and cheese his way.

When I got off the phone, I looked in the pot.  "Bubba, what's this?"  Powdered cheese was floating on the surface of the water, while the noodles were clumped on the bottom of the pot.

"Mac and cheese.  I'm hungry, Mama.  I couldn't wait."

"Okay, Bubba, this isn't exactly how you make mac and cheese.  You're supposed to drain the noodles first, and then add milk and butter."

Bubba shrugged.  "Just fix it, Mama.  You know how."

Right.

I drained the noodles, attempted to mix them with the remaining powdered cheese, added a little butter, and dumped it on a plate.  "There you go, Bubba."

He tasted them.  "Hmmm," he said.  "Not bad, but I think it needs a little salt and pepper."

"Coming right up," I said.

I handed him the seasonings, which he sprinkled over the top. Then he tasted it.  "Perfect, Mama.  See.  I know how to cook mac and cheese!"     

34 comments:

  1. Does Bubba have a chief hat?
    Just let him do the cooking from now on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid to let him do the cooking. He's had some close calls with burning down the house! ;0)

      Delete
  2. I love how he goes after what he wants!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's not a very patient young man - especially when it comes to having his meals out on time.

      Delete
  3. What the what? What a waste of cheese? Doesn't Bubba know we live in a world in which cheese is not to be wasted! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! I'm sure my friend, Crystal Collier would agree with you. It's a sin to waste cheese!

      Delete
  4. Bubba is a growing boy. He needs frequent meals and snacks. Wait till you see how much he eats when he's a teenager.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He eats like a horse already. I'm afraid to see what it's going to be like when he's a teenager!

      Delete
  5. Oh, dear. He certainly gets impatient when hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhh- to have the palate of a kid again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's not too picky when it comes to mac and cheese!

      Delete
  7. A traditional kid food that every kid should know how to make. Teach him. Then he'll know how to make at least one thing when he leaves home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and mac and cheese. What else does he need?

      Delete
  8. Awwww! So cute! I ended up smiling throughout the post..such an innocent baby!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like he knew what he was doing after all indeed

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mac and cheese was my son's first self-cooked meal too! Only he was in college...you have a prodigy on your hands!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The day will come when he'll be making it for his kids!

      Delete
  11. Bubba, the budding chef! Great job that mama did fixing it so it suited the hungry man of the house!

    ReplyDelete
  12. He'll be the cook of the house before you know it

    ReplyDelete
  13. He almost had it, right?

    He'll be doing it by himself in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Coming soon to the Food Network: Cooking with Bubba!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lol! He cooks like most males I know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I hope he improves at least a little by the time he is an adult!

      Delete
  16. Where there is a will, there is a way. My son would have probably done something similar with the mac & cheese when he was Bubba's age.

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOL! Kids can be so easy to please. =)

    ReplyDelete