Mama Diaries

Sunday, November 17, 2013

Playing Chess with Bubba

"Mama," my nine-year-old son asked.  "Will you play chess with me?"

I didn't realize the kid knew how to play chess.  "Okay," I said.  "One game."

We got out the chess board and set up the pieces.  Surprisingly, he remembered what I had taught him a long time ago.  He was doing pretty well.  After about a half hour, I was getting tired of the game.  I also had a ton of things to do, so I decided to make a bold move and see what happened.  I moved my queen all the way up the board and parked her right next to his king.  "Check," I said.

I wondered if he would knock her off with his king.  He didn't.  He took his bishop and knocked off my rook.

"Check mate," I said on my next move, capturing his king and winning the game.

"That's not fair!" Bubba complained.

"What do you mean, it's not fair?"  I said.  "You could've gotten my queen!"

"You didn't tell me I could get the queen.  I thought I had to get the rook.  Redo!"

"No redo, Bubba.  Mama rules.  And that's that!"
     

34 comments:

  1. lol winner, now off to cook dinner

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mama makes the rules!
    This tends to happen to me playing Monopoly. I start to lose large amounts of cash, on purpose to speed the game along.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd like your rules if I was playing as you but not against you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like Mama rules! Tell Bubba every chess player gets fooled like that once. The trick is not to get fooled again. I'm a chess player from way back. I like it, but yes, it does take time. You probably took your son's abilities into account in your bold stragegy there, Sherry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what I did! I'm sure I couldn't get away with a move like that if I was playing you!

      Delete
  5. Mama rules! And that is how it should be!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good job, Sherry. So glad Mama rules! I think it should happen mor often. D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mama rules! I need to tell that one to my kids. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. Maybe. I'm sure though, that he won't get fooled by my trick move, again!

      Delete
  9. He'll remember this. It's not good to let kids win all the time.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Watch out for the next game . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I'm going to have to be super sharp for the kind of moves he's going to try to pull!

      Delete
  11. Sometimes Mama rules trump all others....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gee, but you've gotta know that in a kid's world, an immediate declaration of "Do over!" fixes darned near anything. (I wish it worked as well in the real world.)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like you're raising your child to be a strategic player. Yay for you winning this round!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so. Those are skills he'll need in the real world!

      Delete
  14. Won of my favorite things to do with my grandfather was play chess with him. He always won. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Too cute! Such a great game to play too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOL! I'm reminded of when my oldest learned to play chess. He was so tired of losing he made up his own version: queens chess. He said each player could have as many queens as they wanted and could go as many times as they wanted, then finished with, "I go first."

    ReplyDelete
  17. Almost any game player wants sufficient wow classic tbc gold, nonetheless most online players don’t desire to perform any pursuit within the game to get gold. Online players can apply the MMOGAH platform to grab tbc gold without performing any activity. In case online surfers make use of this tbc gold coast site, they obtain more specifics about wow classic tbc gold.

    ReplyDelete