Mama Diaries

Thursday, November 7, 2013

Waking Up on the Wrong Side of the Bed

At 6:00 this morning, I went into my son's bedroom to wake him up for school.  "Time to get up!" I said in my usual cheery voice.

He grunted and rolled over.  "Mama, do you always have to say the same thing every day?"

"What do you want me to say?" I asked.  "Cheeseburgers have  high amounts of fat and cholesterol?"

"No, Mama.  Why don't you not say anything at all?"

"Then how will you know it's time to get up?" I asked. 

"I'll just know."

Okay.

I went downstairs and put out his breakfast.

My boy came down shortly after and stared at the cereal.  "Mama.  We need to get different cereal.  I don't like this stuff and you give it to me every day."

I looked at the kid.  "Listen.  I think you must've gotten up on the wrong side of the bed.  Why don't you go back upstairs and try this again?"

So that's what he did.  When he came back down, he ate his cereal without a complaint.  Apparently waking up on the other side of the bed helped!

30 comments:

  1. LOL. Glad his do over worked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. maybe the silence rule for momma in the bedroom should go for Bubba in the kitchen too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Especially if he wakes up on the wrong side of the bed!

      Delete
  3. I remember my mom telling me that when I was a kid. Who knew that it actually worked? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. For Bubba it does! (My daughter is a different story!)

      Delete
  5. Your kid really seems to be adorable, wrong side of the bed or not ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What if the bed is against the wall? Whatever works

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then let's hope the side that's not against the wall is the right side! ;0)

      Delete
  7. I love kids who take their parent's advice literally!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL. I'm going to have to remember that one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Huh. Well, all righty, then.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Heh, glad that trick works for somebody! Both sides of the bed are usually wrong for me. XD

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have an amazing kid - either that or there's nothing like the power of motherly suggestion ;) I love that this worked!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he just wanted two more minutes of sleep! ;0)

      Delete
  12. too cute! i know if i try this, i will just stay in bed the second time and sleeeeeep!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. There's no way I'd want to get up, again!

      Delete
  13. He sounds very particular.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hmm, I wonder if I should suggest this to overtired teenagers. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried this on mine, and it didn't work. Good luck!

      Delete
  15. I was telling someone this morning about my Dad's 'wake up' routine.

    He would come into our rooms and ask us to get up... of course we wouldnt...

    ... so then he would pull the covers back.. pull us towards the side of the bed... take a foot in each hand and rub the soles of our feet together... we would always end up laughing...

    I can only imagine that maybe his Dad used to wake him up in that manner...

    Have a great weekend...

    ~shoes~

    ReplyDelete