Mama Diaries

Tuesday, November 26, 2013

The Makeup Guru

My twelve-year-old daughter knows a lot about makeup.  That's probably because she spends all her free time watching You tube videos of makeup tutorials.

Today, she gave me a makeup tutorial.  "Mom, you really should do your eyeliner differently.  I think Urban Decay eyeliner would work better than what you're using."

Okay.

"Here, let me show you what kind of makeup you should use to make yourself look pretty."  She brought up the Sephora website.  If you don't know what Sephora is, it's a huge makeup store.  "Here," she said.  "Naked Urban Decay eye shadows.  That's a basic palate."

I looked at the price - $18.95.

She scrolled down.  "You need some lip stains, too."

"Lip stains?"  I said.  "What's wrong with my lipstick?"

"It doesn't last all day."

Oh.

Price of the collection of lip stains:  $365.00.

She continued this way, going through eyeliners, foundations, blush, brushes, and mascara.  By the time she was finished, she had about $800 worth of products.  "That should do it, Mom.  If you get all of these and use them, you might look good."

Might.


 

30 comments:

  1. Ouch!!
    My wife looks great without any makeup. She doesn't believe me of course...

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL wow, I bet she'll want to "borrow" it too

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was thinking what Pat said. $800? Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Naked Urban Decay...who comes up with the names?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yikes! $800 is way too much for makeup...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have two daughters - I know what Sephora is. There are many ways to throw cash down in this makeup artist's heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No way. I am not putting something on my face with the word "decay" in the name.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what I was thinking! It would probably make your face decay if you wore it!

      Delete
  8. I love looking at Sephora's site. Buying everything I like...no way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd really like to know how Sephora is better than Revlon!

      Delete
  9. Hahaha! My 17 year old has introduced me well to Sephora, high prices, and the promise only of might.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd need a sure thing before investing in that kind of money! ;0)

      Delete
  10. Oh, this is totally priceless!!! Unike the $800 price tag, of course ;) I've never been a make-up person, so when I need make-up I usually have to ask for help. One trip to Sephora with my best friend, and, well, you can guess how much went on my credit card!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine. You can spend $100 on just a couple of items!

      Delete
  11. You might look good? OUCH! I couldn't imagine spending that kind of money on make-up. Naked Urban Decay eye shadows sounds like something a zombie might wear. ; }

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. She's Snow White and I'm the Wicked Queen. There's no hope for me! ;0)

      (I'm with you on the zombie thought!)

      Delete
  12. Doh! Kids are awesome. What would we do without their candid truths? ($800? There's no way. I'd buy myself a new computer first.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'd buy a new violin bow. Makeup is last on my list!

      Delete
  13. She should have given you a pillow or something so you'd have a soft landing when you heard the price! I think you're beautiful the way you are. Besides, Urban Decay just doesn't sound appealing.
    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deanie. Urban Decay sounded pretty unappealing to me, too!

      Delete