Mama Diaries

Thursday, October 10, 2013

Another Dumb Mama Story

I can't believe how stupid I'm getting.

Yesterday, my son had an after-school activity.  Surprisingly, I remembered.  I kept track of the time, making sure I wouldn't be late to pick him up.  (You know how it is when you get involved with things.) Before I left, I cooked some pork chops on the grill.  I knew I wouldn't have time to do it when I got home, because I'd have to run out the door again to go to work.  Noticing that it was getting dangerously close to time I had to leave, I enlisted the help of my husband to finish the grilling.  Thankfully, he obliged.

I dashed to my car, certain that I'd be a few minutes late.  And that would not be good, because the teacher specifically said that tardiness would not be tolerated.  Parents who were tardy would be fined.  (Can you believe it? Talk about pressure!)

I got to the school expecting to see a line of kids waiting to be picked up.  There was no line.  I looked at my watch.  I was two minutes late.  Panic set in.  I knew I was going to be in trouble.

I walked over to the module where I knew the kids had class and knocked on the door.  The teacher answered.  I peered inside and saw all the kids sitting happily at their computers.  What?  "Um, hi," I said.  "I'm here to pick up my son."

The teacher looked at me funny.  "We just started," she said.

I looked at my watch again.  Yep.  I was an hour early. 

All the kids in the class laughed.  What can I say?  I'm just a dumb mama!

31 comments:

  1. Well, you had time to go back and make sure the pork chops weren't burnt...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. My husband did a good job with them. They were perfect!

      Delete
  2. Better early than late, and your pork chops awaited when you got home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really wanted to be an early bird

    ReplyDelete
  4. Time management requires that you confirm info BEFORE you act. I've been there, done that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well at least you turned up and not left him there waiting.

    Yvonne,.

    ReplyDelete
  6. what? And she didn't send you to spend that hour in detention? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't worry. You get used to being a knucklehead. It's worked for me for decades.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well better early than late. The teacher should give you good credit for that so that if you do show up late, you don't get fined. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Maybe she should pay me for showing up early!

      Delete
  9. *LOL* At least you were early. I hope you took that hour and just relaxed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me relax? Are you kidding? No. I took the hour to get even more stuff done. :)

      Delete
  10. Better to be one hour early than one hour late! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. At least you had time to dash back and give those chops some undivided attention.....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Not dumb at all!!! Just over-extended. All us Mamas are- and could probably fill twenty blogs with the crazy stuff we do. (I know I've got a bunch on mine.) Go easy on yourself and pat yourself on the back for being early. :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Think how lucky you were not to be late! At least you didn't get scolded by the teacher. And the pork chops were perfect so that was a nice surprise for you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. haha but i am proud of you for not being late and not being fined :)

    ReplyDelete