Mama Diaries

Friday, October 25, 2013

Crop Rotation

My twelve-year-old daughter is not a farmer.  (Which probably does not come as a surprise to you!) 

Last night, when she was studying for a biology test, she asked me to quiz her on some terms.  Crop rotation was one of them.

"What is crop rotation?" I asked.

She thought about that for a second.  "It's when corn spins around in circles and gets dizzy.  Like when you're on a merry-go-round."

Corn gets dizzy from spinning?  Right.

"No," I said.  "It's when you rotate between crops to conserve nutrients in the soil - like soybeans and corn."

"Oh."  She said.  "So that means you spin in circles between corn crops and soy bean crops until you get so dizzy you fall down.  Then you get buried and become fertilizer.  And that's how more nutrients get put into the soil."

Yeah.  Something like that.

Oy gewalt!
    

24 comments:

  1. I don't think she grasps the concept yet...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't appear that she does. But I think she's just messing with me!

      Delete
  2. I think she's teasing you. I guess you'll find out when you see her grades.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right. She can be quite the joker sometimes!

      Delete
  3. Hehe! Exactly how that crop rotation works! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If that's how it works, I don't think I care to do it anymore! ;)

      Delete
  4. Wonderful , Sherry.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  5. remind her not to spin in a field.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I wouldn't want her to turn into fertilizer!

      Delete
  6. That answer might work, you know...

    ReplyDelete
  7. The only time you spin in a field is at night when you can look up at the stars while you do it! Then it looks like Van Gogh's Starry Night!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well at least the answer should get creative points

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL. That's an interesting take on crop rotation.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You can't say she doesn't have a lively imagination!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds right to me. I was never great at science -- which is why I write science fiction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! If my daughter keeps this up, she'll be writing science fiction, too. ;)

      Delete