Mama Diaries

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Bootsy and the Squirrel

I have concluded that the squirrels in Georgia have an attitude problem.  Here's why:

I decided to go for a walk in the woods behind our house, just because it was such a nice autumn day.  Bootsy, our cat who acts like a dog, followed me.  We stopped when we got to the river.  That's when the squirrel appeared.  It flicked its big bushy tail and ran right at me.

Why are you coming at me? I thought. Don't I look like a big scary thing?

I stood there while it came within two feet.

Meanwhile,  Bootsy was in full stalk mode.  He crouched patiently in the leaves, waiting to make his move.   Suddenly, the cat pounced.

And missed.

The squirrel took off like a bat out of you know where.  I figured he'd retreat, deep into the woods, and never be seen again.  But no.

That stupid rodent turned around and ran back towards me with the cat following close behind.  Then it veered sharply and ran up a tree.  Bootsy followed about half-way up, but then decided it wasn't worth it.  He came back down and left the squirrel in the tree.

Apparently, squirrel was quite pleased with himself.  He came down the tree trunk head first and chattered at Bootsy.  It sounded a lot like a laugh.

Yeah, go ahead squirrel, laugh.  I thought. Tomorrow you might not be so lucky.  I've seen my feline friend decapitate some of your buddies.  You're going to end up haunting these woods as a headless fur ball if you don't change your attitude!  

37 comments:

  1. haha wow that squirrel has a death wish

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, squirrel with a death wish.
    And a cat with a bad aim.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised Bootsy missed. He's usually pretty good!

      Delete
  3. Yes, that squirrel better watch ou!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HA!
    Squirrels can be cantankerous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It amazes me that a little furry thing with a brain the size of a walnut can have such personality!

      Delete
  5. You're right squirrels do have attitude and not just in Georgia. Perhaps that's why they were an ingredient in the original Brunswick Stew recipe.
    Laughted through this post, Sherry. You awaken some of my memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dad likes to hunt squirrels. Maybe I'll have him come over and take care of the little varmint. ;)

      Delete
  6. Lol! the squirrel was all like, "Come at me, bro!" to Bootsy. That thing is as nutty as its food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! You might be on to something with their diet affecting their brains!

      Delete
  7. I feed the squirrels that come into my gadren so enjoyed your post.
    Great read.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're nice. I chase them away, because they always eat the bird food!

      Delete
  8. Bootsie is your security officer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That he is. I definitely need protection from the crazy squirrels around here!

      Delete
  9. Willy Dunne Wooters swears that a particular squirrel plays in my yard regularly and that the dogs allow him to do so. I told him he hasn't seen all the birds and squirrels that Harper has presented to me as gifts. That squirrel might think he can get away with playing here, but he'll learn his lesson.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if that particular squirrel and Harper have made a some kind of deal which allows them to cohabitate peacefully.

      Delete
    2. Only if the squirrel is a fool because Harper will renege.

      Delete
  10. Suicide squirrel! Bootsy's probably already planning that day...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yep, Georgia squirrels definitely have an attitude. Silly me, I had some oldish nuts in the house, and decided to be "nice" and feed them to the squirrels running around our yard all the time. I set half a dozen or so on the porch every day. They seemed to be quite grateful. Until the nuts ran out.

    Attitude? Oh yeah. Those critters turned downright militant. Banging on the door, ringing the doorbell, raising Cain. (Okay. so I exaggerated a little bit, but only a little.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! Militant squirrels! Maybe they need a few bears to straighten them out. ;)

      Delete
  12. Your cat goes on walks with you?? THAT is awesome. And hilarious. As was the rest of this story :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, my cat walks right at my heel whenever I go out. It's crazy! Sometimes I think I'm going to trip over him!

      Delete
  13. wonder what would have happened if the cat hadn't be present? Squirrels around here are constantly outsmarting my attempts at keeping them off the dole (and out of the birdfeeders)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good question. That squirrel would've probably been sitting on my shoes, chattering at me wanting to know where his nuts were!

      Delete
  14. Replies
    1. He's usually really good! I've seen him in action many times, and he rarely misses. It must've been an off day.

      Delete
  15. Replies
    1. Probably. Although sometimes my cat just kills the things and plays with their corpses. Do you think my dog would like squirrel stew?

      Delete
  16. I love squirrels, but some of them have a personality problem.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Our Tennessee squirrels are way too cocky. They think they own my vegetable garden, strawberries, raspberries, etc. Maybe I need a cat...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Now that's a scary squirrel!

    ReplyDelete