Mama Diaries

Thursday, October 24, 2013

Chicken Fish Scales

We're back to eating chicken at my pad.  And of course, there's always a comment.  This one was from my nine-year-old son, Bubba.

"Mama, this chicken has fish scales!"

I looked at the kid.  "What are you talking about, Bubba.  There are no fish scales.  Just chicken skin."

"Look, Mama.  They're right there."  He pointed to some chicken skin on the bone of a drumstick.

"Dude, I'm sorry but those aren't fish scales."  Then I asked him a question.  "Why would a chicken have fish scales?  Fish and chickens are not related."

"Chickens sometimes eat fish that have diseases.  If a chicken eats a diseased fish, they can start growing scales.  This one obviously ate a bad fish."

Oh.  I tried not to laugh.  "And where did you learn this?"

"From a book."

Isn't it just amazing what you can learn from a book!  

34 comments:

  1. haha I'll have to check mine for scales from now on

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HA! At least he didn't say he learned it from the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh, those books of misinformation~

    ReplyDelete
  5. It would be fun to find out what book he read to find that pearl of wisdom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it was a comic book. No real science book would ever suggest that chickens eat fish!

      Delete
  6. It sounds very logical and intelligent. I find myself questioning the wisdom of his words. Too cute.

    xoRobyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to my world! I'm always questioning he sources! ;)

      Delete
  7. the message of the story: go vegetarian!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chicken fish scales? I think I'll stick with my salad. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fishken? Ficken? Chish? There's a mash up here somewhere that will definitely catch on. Great story! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I thought Bubba would say he learned it on Wikipedia.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL, I can't help but wonder what book he learned that from now...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Some books are misleading, enjoyed the read Sherry although I am all behind with my comments.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  13. HA! I want to read the books your son is reading...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cute story... I do remember a catfish restaurant in Utah that I wanted to try, but since I am the only one to eat catfish in my house, everyone else had chicken strips which turned out to be fried in the same oil as the catfish and tasted the same... I never went back with the family.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Really? It makes me wonder about that book. And why are chicken eating fish?

    ReplyDelete