Mama Diaries

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Boo at My Zoo

As I came up with the title for this post, it reminded me of a book by one of my blogger buddies, Pat Hatt, called Boo and the Backyard Zoo.  So here's a little shout out for Pat.  Check out his book, here.

                                             (Photo from Amazon)

Okay.  Now for the story.

It's that time of year, again.  Time to go booing.  What? you ask.  Well, let me explain it to you.  Booing is when you fill up a plastic jack-o-lantern with candy and you sneak over to one of your neighbor's houses in the dark, ring their doorbell, leave the candy, and run like a mad person as quick as you can so they don't know who it was.

Usually when my kids and I do this little stunt, we use a getaway car. The kids do their thing, and then run back to the car. I squeal out of there before anyone can write down my license plate number and report me to the police.

Not last night.  Last night, the whole operation was done on foot.

It was about 8:30 PM, and quite dark.  My kids had scouted out the neighborhood earlier, and decided who their victims would be.  We made our way stealthily to the first victim.  My son put the candy-filled jack-o-lantern on the porch, rang the doorbell, and ran.  He and I hid behind a bush, waiting to see if the person would come to the door.  They didn't.

On to the next house.  Same thing. The jack-o-lantern was left and the doorbell was rung.  My son scurried out of there super quick.  Good thing, too, because those people answered right away.  They were super-excited about being booed.

We waited until it was safe to emerge from our hiding place.  But then a car came down the street.

"Okay," I said.  "We have to keep hiding."  The car came slowly down.  We watched from our spot.  And guess what it was?  A police car!  I won't tell you exactly what I thought, because this is a G rated blog, but let me just say, I got real nervous!

Fortunately, the police turned down another street, and didn't see us. Otherwise Mama would've ended up in jail for Booing.

Note to self:  Next year use the get-away car!
 

25 comments:

  1. You were almost busted for real!
    Pat will get a kick out of seeing his book here. That one's really funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha end up in the clink, you could have gotten an orange jumpsuit costume though, right color at least.

    Thanks for the shout too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. And it would've matched my duckbill, too. ;)

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the laugh Sherry, can always rely on you for a smile.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this boo-ing, and I'm so glad you didn't get busted! What fun~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Booing is fun. I'm glad I didn't get busted, too. It would've been a little embarrassing to have been called out from the bushes by a cop! ;)

      Delete
  5. you're a smooth criminal, yes you are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. Real smooth. I think I'll keep my day job! ;)

      Delete
  6. LOL! That is awesome! I've done that with Christmas cookies, but wow. Halloween really is the best holiday ever. Booing...

    (Glad you didn't get caught. Be sure to wear dark greens and blues next year, eh? They blend in the best.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always loved Halloween! Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely plan to have a dark wardrobe next year!

      Delete
  7. Good thing you didn't have on light up shoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! No kidding! That would've have been very bad, indeed!

      Delete
  8. Whew! Glad you didn't get caught! Booing sounds like fun. ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Booing is fun! If you ever want to do it with your kids, check out www.BeenBooed.com. You can get the official poem and instructions there.

      Delete
  9. The book looks cute! And booing sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So, leaving a flaming bag of dog poop on your neighbor's porch is out of the question?
    I want to live in YOUR neighborhood!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do you get flaming bags of dog poop in your neighborhood? Or do you give flaming bags of dog poop? ;)

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. It's a lot of fun! If you don't have it in your neighborhood, check out www.BeenBooed.com for more info.

      Delete
  12. A boo
    This be true
    Jack--o-Lantern glows
    You stay on your toes
    It all turned out good
    In your neighbourhood

    Ah yes
    I should of guessed
    Pat in the Hatt
    His rhyming cat
    Need a shout
    All about
    This might be true
    I'd rather boo.

    Gary :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm impressed! Your poetry-writing skills might actually rival that of the master - Pat Hatt! ;)

      Delete
  13. Oh my! What an experience that would have been if the police had stopped.

    My husband had the booing done to him one Halloween. A paper sack of candy was left in our car while he was at work. It had a cut-out of a ghost with a cute poem on it. I wish I had saved the bag with the poem.

    ReplyDelete