Mama Diaries

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Oobleck

I know, you're thinking, "What the heck is oobleck?" It's wonderful, glorious goop! If any of you are Dr. Seuss fans, you know that March 2nd was his birthday. Well, oobleck is some cool stuff that's mentioned in one of his books.

To honor Dr. Seuss's birthday, the kids in my son's kindergarten class made some. My son wasn't there because he was sick. Today, however, when he went to school, the teacher gave him the recipe. So when he came home, we rolled up our sleeves and went to work making the goop.

"Mommy, what is this stuff?" my son asked as he let the stuff drip off his hands.

"Oobleck."

"Ooo what?"

"Oobleck."

"This is cool, Mommy! Try it."

I tried grabbing the stuff. It was a very odd experience. It felt solid, like I could roll it in a ball, but when I lifted it up, it turned all liquidy. It was definitely cool!

Here's the recipe if you want to try it at home:

You'll need: cornstarch, water, food coloring, a bowl, and spoon.

Mix 1/2 cup cornstarch. Add 1/4 plus 1 tbsp water

Stir in a few drops of food coloring.

Put your hands in the mix, and have fun playing with it!

Hint - cover the table. It can get messy!

No comments:

Post a Comment