Mama Diaries

Sunday, October 14, 2012

Biology Lesson

Sometimes I have the strangest conversations with my kids in the car.  This morning was one of the strangest.  We were on our way to dance class, when my daughter posed this question:  "Mom, are eye sleepies the same as nose boogers?"

What?  I wasn't exactly prepared for such a topic at nine o'clock in the morning, but I gave it my best scientific answer.  "They're your body's way of cleaning your eyes.  And, yes, you have mucous to clean your nose, so basically it's the same thing."

My daughter thought about that a minute.  "So why do we have ear wax instead of mucous in our ears?"

"Because it would be too messy to have mucous dripping out of your ears."

Fortunately, that answer satisfied her.  Now aren't you glad I told you this?  I bet you just learned something new.

15 comments:

  1. Wow - when I heard the question I got as nervous as if I were defending a dissertation. Are sleepies and boogers the same? Are they chemically the same? Do they come from the same lymphatic system? Oh, what to say??
    Luckily, with true Mom-aplomb you came up with a great answer. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha next it will be toe jam and gas passing. Those answers sure worked though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. humans are disgusting!
    and thanks for putting up our blog hop button!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Yes, humans are disgusting. Aren't you glad you're human?

      I think your blog hop is a great idea! Glad to be a part of it!

      Delete
  4. LOL--oh wow, I am SO informed now. Seriously, I think it was a good answer for a kid's sudden question. Great impromptu thinking skills there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahaha, it's fascinating how well you have answered them so early in the morning.:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job answering her question. lol. My kids call the eys stuff, "eye boogers."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Too much info for Monday. Just kidding. Great comeback by the way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What if I WANT to have mucous dripping out of my ears? Maybe God would arrange it for me.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete