Mama Diaries

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Scary Spider

Halloween is right around the corner, and in my neighborhood, things are looking pretty scary.   There are ghosts and skeletons in just about every yard.

So, this morning I took Schultz, our big German Shepherd, for a walk.  Things were pretty normal.  Then out of the blue, Schultz got all crazy on me.  His hair stood up on his back, and he started growling.

"Hey, boy," I said.  "What's the matter?"

He stopped walking by my side and tried to cut in front of me, tugging hard on the leash.

"Heel!" I commanded.

He wouldn't.

I wondered what the heck had made him so agitated.  I didn't hear any dogs barking.  Usually that's what sets him off.

He continued growling and acting crazy.  I thought the hundred pound beast was going to bolt.

That's when I looked over my shoulder.  On somebody's lawn, was a huge inflatable spider.  That thing was pretty ugly!  Schultz was growling at the spider.

"It's okay, Schultz," I said.  "It's just a spider.  And don't worry.  It won't bite! (At least I hoped it wouldn't!)


Note to self:  Keep Schultz away from the spider, because things won't go well for that thing if Schultz sinks his pearly white fangs into it!  

25 comments:

  1. Either I haven't paid attention or not one person in my neighborhood has decorated for Halloween yet. Hmm.. Poor Schultz. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a lot of kids in our neighborhood, so a lot of decorating goes on. Yes, poor Schultz! I guess he'll just have to get used to all the spooky things!

      Delete
  2. That is so cute! I love your dog . . .:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I'm thinking of starting a Schultz fan club. I bet you'd be the first to join!

      Delete
  3. My dog used to go nuts over that sort of thing too. I miss her.... :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like he had a bad run in with spiders and wants payback.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I drove past that thing later, I noticed it was animated. I think Schultz thought it was alive.

      Delete
  5. aw, Shultz is a wonderful protector. You never know, that inflatable spider might've attacked ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is a good boy. And yes - the spider could have most definitely attacked! Hmmm. Sounds like a good book - an inflatable spider coming to life and wreaking havoc on the neighborhood. LOL!

      Delete
  6. Poor little Schultz, threatened by a nasty inflatable spider. I'll save you, Schultz!

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! And I'm sure Schultz would give you a great big lick on your nose after you do!

      Delete
  7. LOL What a great dog for trying to protect you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I love about German Shepherds. They're so smart, loyal, and protective.

      Delete
  8. The other day my sister found what she said was the biggest spider she'd ever seen in a web in her front entry way. She said she thought about leaving it up as a Halloween decoration.

    I'll take the inflatable spider thank you.

    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  9. Schultz is SO alert... his eyes miss nothing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank goodness it was only a big inflatable spider. Schultz was protecting you. I do agree about keeping Schultz away from it, otherwise you'll possibly have a big scary neighbor at your front door. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Yes, some of the neighbors around here can be very scary!

      Delete
  11. I'll take a fake inflatable spider any day over a real one, thank you! How sweet of your dog to try to warn you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aww, he was being protective of you too!

    ReplyDelete