Mama Diaries

Monday, October 8, 2012

Duct Tape Flowers



One of the presents my daughter had received for her birthday was a bag full of duct tape.  Now you may ask why in the world would anybody give somebody a bag of duct tape for a present.  Apparently tweens and teens think that stuff is great.  In fact, my daughter said it was her favorite present.  Duct tape these days, comes in an assortment of colors and patterns - perfect for crafty kids.  And my daughter is crafty!

"Mama," she said.  "I made something for you."

"What is it?" I asked.

"Come and see!"

She led me into the family room and handed me a bouquet of flowers.  They weren't ordinary flowers.  They were duct tape flowers, with green stems and leaves, and pretty multi-colored petals.

"Wow!  They're beautiful!" I said.  "How did you make them?"

She demonstrated how she carefully folded pieces of duct tape into triangles and formed the petals.

"That's really good!  Did you read a book to figure out how to do it?"

"No," she said.  "I just figured it out."  Then she added, "Sniff them."

I did.  And do you know what?  They smelled just like her perfume.

Amazing! 

27 comments:

  1. That is such a sweet gift! And how cute those flowers are!!! She must love her mother!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Either that, or she really liked the chocolate party!

      Delete
  2. They're so pretty. It's also sweet that she put perfume on the flowers too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really surprised by that. It was such a nice touch!

      Delete
  3. Wow! Those look beautiful. How sweet of your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's very creative of your daughter. They offered a workshop at our local library on duct tape crafts, but I hadn't seen a finished product. Hats off to your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so amazed that she figured out how to do that herself. I'm not sure I could've done that.

      Delete
  5. Wow, she is very creative, never knew duct tape came in different colors either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A couple of years ago, I noticed the variety of colors for duct tape. I couldn't figure out why there were so many. Now I know!

      Delete
  6. What a sweet, lovely daughter.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cool! I wonder what would happen if I gave my fiance some duct tape for Christmas? Never mind, I need my eyes and I abhor pointy sticks.

    Your kiddo is a crafty genius. And what a great idea to add a dash of perfume to them for a scent. That artist is a thinker!

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! If your fiancee is crafty, she might like duct tape for Christmas!

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. You would not believe the stuff my daughter makes with duct tape!

      Delete
  9. How creative. I only have one roll of colorful duct tape, but I'd like to try this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go for it! It takes a little time, but the results are worth it.

      Delete
  10. Very cool and creative...
    I can do duct-tape flora... it's safer for me... after all, I once killed a cactus (which is very difficult to do...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Yes, it is hard to kill a cactus. You had better try duct tape flowers!

      Delete
  11. Each time you write a post about your children, you conjure up similar memories I experienced when my children were young. Duct tape was popular way back then too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. how creative! & they're so pretty!
    duct tape is the bomb! i use it all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't get over how cool looking duct tape is these days. Cool neon colors, pretty patterns and such. It's not the same old gray duct tape that you find in a guy's toolbox.

    Those flowers your daughter made are very pretty. There are so many different things the kids are making with duct tape. Wallets, book covers, bracelets, etc.

    ReplyDelete