Mama Diaries

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Stink Bug Invasion

We have an interesting phenomenon going on over here in Cincinnati.  They're called stink bugs.  These little critters are oddly shaped gray bugs that emit a putrid odor when disturbed.  They seem to be popping up everywhere.

Apparently, they popped up on the bus.  As the bus pulled up to drop off the kids, I noticed a bit of mayhem going on.  Kids were up, out of their seats, yelling and carrying on.  The bus driver looked like she was about to blow a gasket.

After the kids unloaded, I asked what was going on.

"Stink bugs," said my son.  "They stunk up the whole bus!"

"Seriously?"  I couldn't believe a tiny little bug could cause that much trouble.

"Yeah, Mama.  I'm going to catch some so you can smell how stinky they are."

We went home, and my son found a jar.  He also found some stink bugs.  He put them inside and shut the lid.  A little while later, he called me over to have a sniff.

Let me just say, it was pretty awful. Something like rotten eggs, and an overly-ripe outhouse. Yuck!

"Can we keep them?" asked my son.

"Absolutely not!" I said.  "We are not having any pets that smell like that!"

   

  

22 comments:

  1. Sounds like a stinky situation. :) I wouldn't be keen on keeping them either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eek! I hope those stinkbugs don't make a mass move over here too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For your sake, I hope not, too! Although your son would probably love them. LOL!

      Delete
  3. I hate bugs. Stinky or not. And to have them on the school bus would totally gross me out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I wasn't the bus driver! I'd hate to have to sit in that stinky bus!

      Delete
  4. haha--too bad their name precedes them--cute :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I guess they're called stink bugs for a reason!

      Delete
  5. Oh my, lol, I've never seen nor smelled one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Blah, never knew stink bugs actually smelled, now I will avoid those suckers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If they're small, then I think I would prefer a stink bug to a palmetto bug, but I'd really prefer no bugs at all.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not like palmetto bugs! When I lived in Florida, I'd find them crawling around in the sink at night. Yuck!

      Delete
  8. Awful! I wouldn't want that near me as well. Prefer a bug free zone!

    Nas

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, no! I've heard of stink bugs, but thankfully have not smelled them. It sounds like you don't need to have a lot of them around to make a big stink!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you never have to smell them. They're awful!

      Delete
  10. Ewww! I feel bad for the bus driver and those kids!

    ReplyDelete
  11. yes..and they come inside the house when the weather gets cold!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Sherry - I'd heard of them .. but not any detail about them .. I hope we don't have them over here!

    Good luck - by the sound of it .. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  13. :-) Can we keep them?--Love that question!

    ReplyDelete