Mama Diaries

Monday, October 29, 2012

The Best Day of My Life

"Mama," my eight-year-old son said last night as I tucked him into bed, "this was the best day of my life."

That made me all warm and fuzzy inside. "Really?"  I said. "Why is that?"

"Well, Mama, you carved the giant pumpkin, and it's the best pumpkin ever."

Yes, well, that was quite a challenge because that thing weighed over 20 pounds,and the walls were an inch and a quarter thick (I measured!).

"Why else?" I asked.

"We played in the leaf pile,and roasted pumpkin seeds, and did the Michael Jackson Thriller dance around the house.  And then you played blocks with me.  And then we went booing. (Booing, in case you don't know, is when you go out at night, ring somebody's doorbell, leave a bucket of Halloween goodies, and run off as fast as you can, hoping not to get caught.)

I nodded.  It was certainly a full day. I gave him a kiss on his head. 

"Can we do it again tomorrow?"

I laughed. "Like Groundhog day?" 

"Yeah. That would be awesome."

Well, then, I guess I won't be getting much work done.     So if I drop off the blog-o-sphere, you'll know I'm doing the Groundhog day thing and reliving my boy's best day of his life.
 

25 comments:

  1. what a great day---this is what makes it all make sense huh :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! Those are the best days ever! I remember a day like that with my own mom - - so important!! Booing sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spending time with your kids is very important. They grow up so fast!

      Delete
  3. These are the days kids remember forever. Never heard of booing but it sounds like a great twist on trick or treat. Have loads of fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure we'll all remember this day for a long time!

      Delete
  4. Your son's excitement makes it all worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never heard of booing at all, sounds fun. Although hopefully not too many groundhog days are spun. Did ene well for Murray in the middle there haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never heard of booing until we moved to Cincinnati five years ago. Now it has become one of our favorite traditions.

      Delete
  6. That's so sweet! I like the booing idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can go online and look up booing to get the directions and boo picture. You should start it in your neighborhood!

      Delete
  7. Aaaawww. Loved this post. Days like this are the greatest. I took my grandson to Spooktacular at our zoo last night and he had SO much fun. It's nice to make these memories, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Spooktacular (Boo at the Zoo)!I used to take my kids every year when they were younger. I bet your grandson had a blast!

      Delete
  8. That's so darn sweet. I miss my children. They are lovely adults, but sometimes I want once upon a time to return.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They grow up so fast. I'm trying to enjoy them as much as I can while they're still interested in hanging with Mommy!

      Delete
  9. It might not be possible to relive it endlessly, but I'm sure he'll remember that day or its sensations years from now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly! My son still talks about the night we sat in the dark and watched snowflakes fall outside his bedroom window!

      Delete
  10. That's a beautiful mom and son moment, aww that's so sweet of him. This is such a lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed reading it. It was a lovely moment!

      Delete
  11. I love this story. It makes me want to do the best day ever with you guys
    ! Have fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. They really remind you of the simple, little, beautiful, important things in life. What a perfect day xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  13. So sweet! We can all benefit from slowing down and looking at life through a child's eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What better way to spend your day? I can't think of a single one.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That sounds like a great day to me too. Next year, I want to go booing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, your house sounds fun! I'll be moving in. Best story ever.

    ReplyDelete